General Reporting

Issues and concerns of discrimination and harassment are addressed through procedures described in the nondiscrimination/anti-harassment policy (.pdf). This policy applies to all members of the University community, including faculty, staff, students and visitors to our campus, and provides resources to address and resolve issues and concerns of harassment and discrimination.

Our policy on sex discrimination and sexual misconduct provides information about types of prohibited conduct, how to access resources and/or make a complaint, and investigative and disciplinary procedures. Additional information and contacts are available on the Sexual Misconduct and Title IX website.

What are your options?

  • Tell the individual to stop. (The University recognizes that this might not always be appropriate or advisable.)
  • Talk with a confidential counselor regarding your options without having to lodge a complaint. Confidential counselors (e.g., SHARE, the University Health Services Counseling and Psychological Services, the Ombuds Office, the Carebridge Employee Assistance Program, or chaplains in the Office of Religious Life) are not authorized to investigate your concerns or take action on behalf of the University. If after speaking with a confidential counselor you wish to lodge a complaint, the confidential counselor will put you in touch with an appropriate University administrator.
  • Tell someone: your manager; a higher manager in your reporting line; a department chair; a department head; an appointed mentor; a director of student life; an assistant or associate dean; the directors of the LGBT, women’s, international or Fields centers; or personnel in Human Resources or the Office of the Dean of the Faculty.
  • Submit a written complaint if the matter cannot be resolved through one of the above approaches or if you choose not to pursue one of the above methods. You may elect to submit your complaint by utilizing the University's complaint form.
  • File an external complaint of discrimination or harassment with a federal or state agency authorized to investigate such claims. Examples of these agencies include: the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; the United States Department of Education Office for Civil Rights; and the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights.